C Drown Challenge Blueprint

Here’s the link to my blueprint: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tcLy6mjqXx93P70liPDr7IzOwo1DTtIBC2FloLEFTMA/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

Hi Catherine,

I really love all your ideas about Community Partnership and connections. There are so many great local resources. I like your idea of doing a survey to have the kids work on finding them (parents are such a wealth of knowledge, but we don’t always know that they are). Doing the interviews of people who perform works of social good is great as well.

The ideas of you have about the importance of local community are wonderful. I’d love to know where you read that and what you found. It is a great idea, and makes things so much more relevant to the students. In one of my classes we were talking about homelessness, and the kids were a little flippant about it. I brought in a letter that a friend of mine, who had been homeless, wrote to them, and it was really powerful to have that local connection. I also love Ron Berger’s description of how his class did the scientific work of testing for radon in their community – they were addressing environmental issues on a very local level.

Have fun with your Teen Challenge!

Jill

1 Like

Catherine, great work here. Just a few thoughts -

1. As you think about the preparation in the fall, I’d suggest you start with a design thinking (DT) primer activity. These are (relatively) quick experiences to run through the entire DT approach in an approximately an hour, from understanding to pitching. There are some examples in the teacher’s guide (though we’re always looking for more, especially good virtual ones). We found that these quick experiences help set the stage for more involved projects later on, but they give everyone a sense of how it all fits together.
  2. One note that the videos that are essential to our design thinking approach are embedded in the Explore step of each phase of a project as well as on our YouTube channel. (I’m just sharing so you know you don’t have to share the channel with folks up front but of course you’re welcome to do so if they’d like a quick run through of the DT approach).
  3. I love the idea of students suggesting prizes!
  4. What a great thought about understanding our local environment first. Many of the more successful solutions we’ve seen thus far always involved students choosing something that was really relevant to the them in some way, often really close to home. This paves the way for a future approach that allows them to expand their thinking beyond their local approach.
  5. I’d be interested to learn more about the scientific connection to local places that you’ve mentioned.
  6. When it comes to judging the pitches, there is a pitch rubric that’s embedded as an activity during the pitch phase. We encourage student teams to use that rubric when evaluating other pitches. We also used that same rubric to evaluate the pitches submitted to us (I converted the columns to a number format to “tally” the scores), though we are likely to make a few adjustments to the rubric over time.

Love your approach and thinking on this, Catherine. Please let us know how we can best support you and your efforts.

1 Like

Great job on your completed blueprint, Catherine!

Your timeline of prepping students as early as December and culminating your event in May is very feasible. I like your idea of having the students share input on the prizes. Having them identify what would be a good motivator for them is always helpful for student buy-in.

Also, your idea of having a social good innovator guest speaker is wonderful! Introducing your students to someone who is actively using this practice in the real-world helps them to connect on a more personal level.

I look forward to hearing about the success of your event! Please share pictures on social media! Twitter @PactfulApp and our FB Pactful page!

1 Like

Hi Jill,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I have been meaning to respond for a couple of weeks.

I’m slogging my way through an incisively enlightening book, The Great Turning, by David Korten. It’s in essence a 5000 yr spiritual, intellectual, political, and material history how we got to where we are, about to pass the point of no return in climate change. I’m not there in the book yet, but I think the latter portion will give a blueprint for moving toward an Earth community that can work toward repairing the damage done.

In the beginning of the book Korten hints at where he finds solutions…“microbiologist Mae-Wan Ho and evolution biologist Elisabet Sahtouris. Both were taking the study of life to a profound level that reveals life to be a fundamentally cooperative, locally-rooted, self-organizing enterprise in which each individual organism is continuously balancing individual and group interests. Here was the natural model for which I had been searching.” p. 14. --sounds like a good model for education, too.

BTW, If anyone is interested in reading this book together as a discussion/study group, please let me know. There are so many ideas new to me and worth further exploration, and it so aptly explains the reasons for our political and societal divide, that I’d like to bounce these things around with others (virtually, of course), in a self-organizing way. :slight_smile: