Week 1 Reflections

Hi All,
Here are some of my thoughts after reviewing the Innovator’s Guide and Teacher’s Guide.

Reflections on social good innovation:

I am very excited about the possibilities within this platform. I love that it involves teams of young people researching, discussing, creating, and working together toward a meaningful and positive goal. I appreciate the identification of Global Goals, and the assumption that solutions to these complex issues exist. I know that it is easy for young people to become overwhelmed by the issues we face today, to disengage, and to feel depressed. By engaging students in a social way to identify, understand, and solve problems, social good innovation promises healing in social/emotional well-being, as well as solutions to global problems.

What is most exciting and most concerning?

I am most excited about the possibilities of success, of drawing in unlikely innovators to offer solutions to complex global problems, of the impact that will have on individual students and on the world.

I am most concerned that in our excitement, we will move too quickly, that we will overlook or rush through important steps in the process.

Focus on one goal or leave the challenge open?

While I tend to favor as much choice as possible to allow for deepest engagement, I think that may be too overwhelming to begin. I am leaning toward focusing on one global goal at first. Each goal is broad and lends itself to much discussion and research. I think students will be able to understand the goal and the design process itself better if we begin in a more focused fashion.

~MaryBeth Molina

2 Likes

Great MaryBeth. Yes, focus on one goal if that feels comfortable for you. Your comfort with the process will make it happen for students in the long run. Ultimately, if they can develop an innovator’s mindset, they’ll learn to apply it to other areas in time.

I have created a Padlet which contains the answers to these questions. “LEARN THROUGH PLAY” INNOVATION CHALLENGE"
I’m hoping to create an ongoing document that is shared and added to.

You’ve identified something very important in your response and that’s the emotional effects of what’s happening in the world on youth. By helping students understand they can play an active role by creating social good solutions will help them to be confident and develop agency over their lives!

Hi Marybeth,

I think it is wonderful that you are thinking about how to connect working towards social good to the social emotional needs of your students. You are absolutely right, so many of our students might be feeling overwhelmed by issues facing their communities, and I think you bring up an excellent point that giving them a means to participate and to make a change will help with their social emotional health. Thank you for your insight!

Alice and Marybeth,
I think it’s really hard to separate any of these fundamental elements from social emotional learning. Research ties social emotional learning to growth quite well and, for me at least, educators have the responsibility to ensure that social-emotional growth takes place in all that we do. Allowing for innovation offers such a powerful way forward to ensuring that students can learn in a dynamic and authentic way all the while developing their interpersonal skills, their collaboration, etc. which are fundamental to social emotional learning and critical to community growth as well.